Derry Area School District
Distinguished Alumni Award
History, Criteria, and Nomination Process
The Derry Area High School Interact Organization began recognizing distinguished alumni of the Derry Area School District in 2004. For 10 years now, they have reviewed nominations and selected one alumnus that they celebrate at the district’s Homecoming festivities. The nominee who is selected is featured in the Homecoming Parade that culminates at the Derry Area High School Football Stadium, and is presented with the Distinguished Alumni Award immediately prior to the beginning of the Homecoming football game. The following are a list of basic criteria, as well as some process information. Thank you for your interest in and your support of this prestigious award.
The Nominee must be
- A graduate of the Derry Area School District, this consideration also includes the now defunct Derry Borough and Derry Township High Schools;
- An individual who is distinguished by virtue of their public service, career, accomplishments, volunteerism, charitable gifts, and/or philanthropic contributions, or other success;
- The person will have achieved some measure of
personal success, but not necessarily known as being rich or famous. This success can be demonstrated through
recognition from their colleagues in either their career or their community.
- The person has demonstrated through a related
narrative the value of perseverance and determination to achieve personal goals
or has exemplified the benefit of being a life-long learner.
- The person has agreed to accept a nomination and
has demonstrated a willingness to work with the Derry Area High School on the
project by submitting photos, stories and/or agreeing to be interviewed.
- The person has agreed, if possible, to be a
participant in the annual homecoming parade and be recognized on the football
field prior to the homecoming game. If
attendance is not possible, a representative of the alumnus will be present.
- In the event of the nomination of deceased
alumnus, the family has agreed to be a participant in the annual homecoming
parade and be recognized on the football field prior to the homecoming game.
- Upon receipt of all the nomination forms, the
Derry Area High School Interact organization will choose a distinguished alumnus.
- All nominations not chosen will be retained for
must be received (or be on file) one month prior to the current year’s
homecoming festivities to be considered for that year.